We have been licensed by the civil aviation authority since 2005 , that meant passing a series of exams , conducting a flight test and then finally the very hard part .. putting together the operations manual. That then has to be submitted to the civil aviation authority along with evidence of your insurance. Then, after a long wait you get the permission for aerial work.
But what about flying for fun, who can go out buy a drone and fly it? well .. just about anyone. But there's several considerations in order to stay legal and safe ..
1) Always keep your drone within sight.
2) Stay below 400ft (120mtrs)
3) Follow the manufacturers instructions .. keep people around you safe.
4) Fly 50 meters away from people and property , if its a congested area or built up then that increases to 150mtrs.
5) The flight is YOUR responsibility , if you fail to act accordingly then you could be facing a criminal prosecution.
6) Stay away from aircraft , airports and airfields. Failing to do that and endangering an aircraft could land you 5 years in prison.
Download the drone code here : http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Dronecode.pdf
Another great link with a lot of information : http://dronesafe.uk/